Learn how to turn a feather into a lovely quill pen. Use it with a magical ink for spells or decorate your grimoire with beautiful calligraphy.
Feather quills are pretty easy to make, once you get the hang of it. All you need is a feather, fine grit sand paper, a sharp knife, and a wire.
turkey, goose, or other large feather
fine grit sand paper (optional to smooth outside of the feather shaft)
wire or other item that will fit into the feather shaft
The shaft of the feather is the part of the feather that looks like a stick. Remove feathers from the shaft until you have a good amount of space. If the shaft is not smooth, lightly sand it until it is smooth to the touch and the membrane is removed.
2. Make an angled cut at the end of the shaft. The angle should be about 45 degrees.
3. The end of the shaft is hollow but has some quick inside of it. Use a wire to remove this.
4. Cut the end of the shaft so it is flat.
5. Make a slit at the end of the shaft. Be careful not to break the shaft at this point. Rather than pressing all the way through at once, make repeated slices in the exact same place until you have a slit.
6. Angle the sides to make the tip of the shaft come to a sharper point.
7. Use with quill ink or make your own magical ink like this blackberry ink used for banishing spells.