Cascarilla powder comes from the Santaria, Hoodoo, and Voodoo traditions. It is an eggshell powder used for protection, to ward off negative energy, and to create magical barriers. It can be incorporated into many types of spells. Learn how to make and use cascarilla powder for your spellwork.
Cascarilla can come as a loose powder or it can be pressed into a chalk. Both are extremely easy to make. All you need is a good number of eggshells, so I usually just collect them when I eat eggs until I have enough.
Flour (optional for cascarilla chalk)
1. Remove yolks and membrane from eggshells.
2. Clean well and let dry completely.
3. Grind to a fine powder with a mortar and pestle (grinding clockwise) or use a coffee grinder.
4. Store powder for later use
For the chalk:
1. Add 1 part each of hot water, cascarilla powder, and flour.
2. Mix into a thick paste.
3. Mold a piece of the paste into a chalk shape and roll snugly in a paper towel.
4. Leave several days until set and dry.
*Note: Traditional cascarilla is made only from eggshells, but some people like to add herbs and oils for extra protection and magical properties.
Cast Protective Circles
Sprinkle around the home for protection
Place on the windowsills to keep away nightmares
Draw protective sigils
Burn in incense
Add to ritual baths
All spells of Protection